Vytautas Magnus University, in cooperation with the Association for the Study of Nationalities (ASN), is pleased to announce the joint conference, “Europe, Nations, and Insecurity: Challenges to Identities,” which will be held on 30 June – 2 July, 2016 in Kaunas, Lithuania. The conference is being organized by the Faculty of Humanities and the Faculty of Political Science and Diplomacy of Vytautas Magnus University.
The panels of the conference will embrace a wide range of topics related to the political and economic situations in all regions of Europe. Serious consideration will be given not only to the persistent problem of state aggression and ethnic conflicts, but also to newly emerging threats, challenges, and insecurities. These new uncertainties create serious threats for global stability, and over the past years have become the only certainty in the modern world. Due attention also will be given to contested and challenged identities, ranging from Baltic, North Eastern, Central and other regions and nationalities, whether state-controlled and manipulated or sporadically emerging and self-asserting. Programmatic themes encompass Nationalism Studies, Memory and Culture Studies, Migration and Diasporas, History, Politics, Gender Studies, Ethnicity and Violence, Minority Rights, Energy Security, Language, Literature and Education, Public Diplomacy, etc.
Conference panels will be organized according to national and regional foci:
- Central and Eastern Europe
- The Baltic region
- The Balkans
- Russia, Ukraine, Moldova, Belarus and the Caucasus
- Middle East and Central Eurasia
Prospective applicants can review the broad thematic scope of ASN’s conference papers by viewing programs from past conferences at: http://nationalities.org/conventions/euro/.
ASN’s 2016 European Conference invites proposals for individual papers and panels. The standard panel format consists of a chair and three or four presenters. Conference proposals should be submitted in English. All required information must be included in a single Word document (PDF documents will not be accepted) and attached to a single email message.
Individual Paper Proposal Requirements:
- Contact information: name, e-mail address, and academic affiliation of the applicant.
- Paper abstract (up to 500 words) with the title of the paper, references and no more than five keywords.
- A 100-word, one paragraph biographical statement in narrative form. Standard CVs will not be accepted.
- Individual proposals featuring more than one author (joint proposals) must include contact information and biographical statements for all authors.
Panel Proposal Requirements:
- Contact information for all panelists: names, e-mail addresses, and academic affiliations.
- Title of the panel and abstract (up to 500 words) for each paper.
- A 100-word biographical statement for each panelist. Statements in a standard CV format will not be accepted.
Please send your proposals to email@example.com no later than 30 November 2015.
All abstracts will be reviewed anonymously by the scientific committee.
Notifications of acceptance will be sent before 29 February 2016.
The deadline for registration is 31 March 2016.
The draft program will be published by the end of May 2016.
For more information, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Conference website: http://www.pmdf.vdu.lt/asn-kaunas
Vytautas Magnus University is located at:
K. Donelaičio Street 58
LT-44248 Kaunas, Lithuania
Tel.: +370 37 327828
Fax: +370 37 203858
University website: www.vdu.lt
We look forward to receiving your proposals for our 2016 conference in Kaunas, Lithuania